Neighborhood House Charter School has an immediate need to fill a hybrid position with responsibilities in three distinct areas: substitute teaching as needed; supervision and monitoring of school buses; and ordering and maintaining school supplies along with general maintenance and upkeep of our school library. In addition, the person who fills this position will perform related tasks at the direction of the Principals of both the Lower and Middle Schools.
This job demands a flexible and motivated individual who can manage competing interests under tight deadlines. As a School Substitute he or she must be able to fill in for any staff member, including specialists, sometimes with no notice and no lesson plans. He or she will need to step in to these immediate responsibilities while at the same time fulfilling his or her regular responsibilities. Specifics for each area are listed below.
- ongoing coordination and communication with Boston Public School offices
- creating and updating bus rosters and bus tags for children
- ongoing monitoring of schedules, driver cordiality, and safety
- keeping records: assignments, changes, notifications, bus incidents, behavior issues and driver complaints
- bus discipline: student behavior, suspensions, parent phone calls
- bus duty:
- guiding children off the bus in the morning and on the bus in the afternoon
- understanding traffic flow chart, safety guidelines for crosswalk area and parking patterns for buses
- daily check of all students riding the bus
- supervising bus assistants
Responsible for: teaching/substituting
- read and execute lesson plans
- effectively use Lower and Middle School rules and behavior systems.
- communicate with teachers regarding specific responsibilities and specific children
- communicate with administrators on ongoing basis about specific classrooms, children, weekly schedules and daily assignments
- deal with difficult situations/children (restraint training is a plus)
Library and Supply Responsibilities
- Responsible for ordering of WB Mason Supplies/Communicate with WB Mason
- Keep accurate records of ordered supplies /Communicate with CFO and Finance Manager regarding pricing and payment
- Responsible for upkeep of 2nd Floor Staff Room/Supplies Room
- Tracking library activity, including book withdrawals and returns
Experience working with young children in one-on-one and group settings;
Excellent organization, communication and diplomacy skills
Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
In addition, we require the following from our staff:
- A passionate commitment to urban education;
- Belief that every child can be successful, no matter what their background;
- Belief that education and hard work are the keys to life success;
- Belief in two messages, simultaneously, in balance: “We love you” and “We have the highest expectations of you – and you can and will meet them”;
- Belief that the best learning happens through experiences that are both rich and structured;
- Belief that problems are hurdles, not roadblocks, and that there is a solution if a student is willing to work harder, smarter, and more creatively;
- Belief that teachers must learn and influence social emotional strengths of all children in and out of the classroom;
- Desire to continually reflect and grow as an educator through professional development, peer feedback, and observation;
- Belief in a school community where students, families, teachers and school leaders demonstrate accountability, flexibility, humor, effort, responsibility, respect and hope.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Neighborhood House Charter School is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity for all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, age, disability, marital status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Further, any form of discrimination or harassment related to these factors is expressly prohibited.